Nourishing cold weather minestrone soup
This recipe is one of the great, inexpensive, filling, and nourishing soups, because it contains lots of zucchini, yellow squash, and some other healthy ingredients.
- vegetable chopper
- cooking pot
- long spoon
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 carrots
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 bell peppers, various colors
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 2 14 ounces jars of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 14-ounce cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic green peas
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- A handful of fresh curly parsley, chopped to finish
- optional shredded parmesan cheese, to sprinkle
Chop your onion and mince the garlic. Peel the carrots and dice along with the celery, bell pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash.
Heat oil in a stockpot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add carrots, celery, bell pepper, zucchini, and squash, and cook until slightly golden.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, and add all herbs and spices. Pour in the vegetable/chicken broth and stir well. Cook on low for about 30 minutes.
Once the vegetables are tender add in the beans and peas and continue to simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Taste and adjust the seasonings to your taste. share into serving bowls. Garnish with fresh parsley and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.